The National Health Action Party is seeking a Press Officer to promote and publicise the National Health Action Party’s policies, views, analysis and stories, through the mainstream media, specialist press and social media.
- Provide guidance and ideas to the Party NEC on Party’s press and social media strategy.
- Research, write, and distribute press releases in response to relevant breaking news, and when NHA Party initiates a story. Work with NHA Party leads on content, quotes etc.
- Ensure effective follow-up with journalists after press releases sent.
- Deal with press enquiries promptly and efficiently
- Maintain and update press contact lists
- Build relationships with journalists to facilitate press and media opportunities for NHA Party.
- Edit, proof and pitch blogs and opinion pieces for the National Health Action Party.
- Work with party social media leads to identify opportunities to communicate our messages across social media, and to produce high-quality social media news items.
- Produce spokesperson briefs in preparation for interviews etc.
- Assist with content of leaflets and publicity materials.
- Experience working as a press officer (or similar role, with transferable skills) for a political, voluntary sector or campaigning organisation.
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent digital/social media communication skills
Knowledge and understanding:
- Good knowledge of UK print, broadcast and digital media
- Understanding of key policies of National Health Action Party and the political environment especially in relation to NHS and the wider health issues.
- Creative and imaginative in pursuit of media coverage
- Able to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Able to take responsibility and show initiative
- Demonstrate good judgement and political understanding
- Strong personal commitment to the aims and values of the National Health Action Party.
Salary £11,700 per annum for 15 hours a week
Closing date for applications 6 April 2018. Interviews in first half of April or by arrangement.
Initial contract for 6 months after which it will be reviewed.
Location: Working from home. Ideally based in London. If not, then within easy commuting distance of London to attend occasional meetings.
Responsible to NEC of the National Health Action Party
Interviews will be held in the first half of April, at a mutually convenient time. Interview outside those dates by arrangement. Start date will be as soon as possible after appointment.
Applicants should send a covering letter outlining why they want the job and why they think they are suitable, addressing the points in the person specification, as well as a CV. The CV should include appropriate educational qualifications and political, voluntary or press work experience. People lacking work experience as a press officer may still be considered if they have other appropriate sills or experience.
Please send applications to email@example.com with the email headed "press officer post".
If you would like to have an informal discussion to find out more about the job please email the above address with your phone number and we will arrange a phone call to discuss.