We've had some great news regarding the legal challenge against ACOs. JR4NHS have secured the concession from NHS England that there must be a national public consultation on ACOs, and no ACO contract will be signed until the consultation has taken place.
This is great news as ACO plans are essentially a way of turning local NHS boards into insurance firms. Here are some facts about ACOs:
- ACOs will be given the money for your care as an insurance premium, and will pay out only for certain treatments - like an insurance company.
- ACOs will in many cases be handed over to actual insurance companies and other private firms.
- ACOs will be able to decide what care is free and what they can charge patients for.
- ACOs will be paid more if they 'save' money (i.e. spend less money on front-line services).
- ACOs will be subject to commercial rules and will hide behind the veil of 'corporate confidentiality'.
- ACOs are not recognised in any Act of Parliament and as such have no legal basis.
Now a judge has ruled that arguments on the lawfulness of the ACO policy itself should be heard. But there's a problem - NHS England and the government are resisting every step of the way and running up legal costs. Without a cap on costs, JR4NHS need to raise further funds to cover the possibility of having to pay NHS England's costs.
Please support JR4NHS and help us defeat the ACOs: