Stephen Hawking, Allyson Pollock and colleagues have launched a legal challenge to stop Jeremy Hunt and NHS England from proceeding with plans to turn local NHS bodies into Accountable Care Organisations (ACOs). Here are some facts about ACOs:
- ACOs will be given the money for your care as an insurance premium, and will pay out only for certain treatments - like an insurance company.
- ACOs will in many cases be handed over to actual insurance companies and other private firms.
- ACOs will be able to decide what care is free and what they can charge patients for.
- ACOs will be paid more if they 'save' money (i.e. spend less money on front-line services).
- ACOs will be subject to commercial rules and will hide behind the veil of 'corporate confidentiality'.
- ACOs are not recognised in any Act of Parliament and as such have no legal basis.
The NHA Party supports the 'JR4NHS' legal action, which you can support here: